Sunday 24 August 2008

Snow..in August...only in Mongolia!

The above statement is not only false but misleading and does not imply that is doesn't snow anywhere else in the world in the month of August. I just thought it was amusing...because it is actually snowing quite heavily now, and we are now August 25th, so it is some sort of warning as too just how much fun winter is going to be. I do need to go chop some wood and get some water, so this will prove to be an interesting day indeed!

So where were we last? Ah yes, I am now a Peace Corps Volunteer with a rather pathetic command of the Mongolian language. I can get by, but not so well. I have some tutoring starting this week which will hopefully ensure I do actually get better. If you are not aware, I have been posted to a site about 8 hours from UB, the capital. I can' t tell you where, because you might come visit me, which for the first three months is a strict "no no". But worry not, check my facebook if you are interested or email me, I will happily supply an address with which you may mail various fruits, nuts or peanut butter, upon which I will dine when my stove freezes over. Okay, it is not that bad but consider this option; the average temperature here in the winter is about -20 C...sound fun yet? It gets better. I am leaving in a Ger (Mongolian tent) and I still do not have glass coverings on the roof, only a heavy wool cover which doesn't quite over the hole becuase my stove is inthe way. I'll post a photo of it soon, but needless to say, it's a touch on the chilly side at the moment.

Serious things now. I am working in a secondary school of 3600 students rnaing from 11-18 years old, where I am responsible for the English abilities and resources of 12 Mongolian English langage teachers. They are wonderful ladies and seem to have enjoyed our discussions so far. School does not start until the first of September but I have been meeting with them in order to understand a little more about the current situation. They have some resources but are in desperate need of the CD's, casettes issued by the Mongolian Education Ministry and various other resources. And a Stereo. So I will work on getting that taken care of as well and build on their English speaking abilities, which are quite good but need more practice, as they are used so infrequently. So I am working on getting those as well as creating a library abnd English Langauge Corner from which the students can check out english books. having gotten in touch with a wonderful organisation, The Darien Book Aid in the United States; hopefully witin the next couple months the 15 kilos of books they are sending will have arrived. I suppose that will be a good sign of progress. I ashould explain that I am an English teacher, but generally for teaching the teachers. And that is fantastic, because I feel this is an experience that will assist both professionaly an personaly. So, as a teacher trainer, I will live near the Gobi for 2 years and try to not lose any appendages to frostbite or wild yaks. Fairly amazing in my asute opinion. Oh that reminds me of another tangent. Yesterday I went to toe store for a Viamin C kick (seriously sugary juice with SOME vitamin C) and noticed that a wild yak was bearing herded own the street by a gentleman on a horse with his colleague running beside. I do't think I have ever seen anything so wonderful in my life. What a site! Yaks are by far the most peculiar looking animals, hairy, bulky and a bit clumsy. I think Stars Wars must have used them for various characters because they don't really look like they belong anywhere. Look up Yaks and let me know what you think.

Okay, so I've rambled enough time for some food and fire but I just wanted to let you know what happening. I'll be be back with another peculiar insight into my life here. Feel free to let me know how things are going and if you feel like sending anything, I always welcome cards, photos or food products. Making a wish list seems childish but I am sure I can think of a few things I wouldn't mind receiving! Cheerio.

1 comment:

Tom Froese said...

Hey man!

I saw that Mongolia actually did alright compared to our favorite country in the Americas! ;-)

Wow, snow? Would't surprise me if we had that here in the UK, the summer's been crap as always!

OK, that´s all for now. Just remember this little piece of wisdom: Confuscius says don't eat yellow snow!

Tom